Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Dinner at Garibaldi's in Oakland


On my birthday Terry and I had our first official dinner out together since moving into our apartment (we have really become take-outers on the account that we never have the chance to relax at home). We went to a very nice restaurant in a great neighborhood in Oakland along College Avenue called Garibaldi's. Although the name sounds very Italian, they are light on the pasta dishes (after all I can make that at home) and the menu is more a mixture of Mediterranean and Northern Italian and they say also Californian, which I am trying to understand as many of the restaurants here claim the same!
We had a ho-hum salad that left me rather disappointed, and Terry had a "just-okay" risotto dish with butternut squash, but being the birthday girl and all, I lucked out and had the star dish of the evening (pictured above)--Maine Dayboat Scallops with Black rice, Beet tops and Yuzu sauce. The flesh as well as the skin of the rice was black and it was really tender and the yuzu sauce (anyone even heard of this before?) added a nice citrus flavor that made the dish. I'd love to go back and have those scallops any day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, more great results!! Do you have pictures of the wedding cakes you made??