Sunday, December 17, 2006

Making a layered cake

In our sixth week of classes, we started in on making layered cakes. Everyone could choose flavorings to their liking and all of the cakes in the class were very different. We all made a chiffon cake, cut it into three layers. Each layer was soaked with cake syrup (made with 3 parts water to 1 part sugar and flavoring), which I flavored with vanilla and rose water. The first and second layers were lightly coated with apricot jam and then spread with rose water Swiss Buttercream. The outside was iced with the same rose water Swiss Buttercream.

This is the final result of the cake. We were required to decorate as shown, and I am not entirely crazy about the design especially since the decorations don't really reflect the flavors in the cake.

This is a slice from the cake. It is always slicing the cake to reveal how well, or how terribly the layering went! Not bad, but the cake and icing layers are not very even. The rose water had been an experiment to use an unconventional flavoring, and because I thought it sounded good in combination with vanilla and apricot. In the end, the taste test proved it was a good combination.
This cake was another exercise in making layer cakes. My cake was a dense buttercake, almost like poundcake with amaretto flavored syrup, orange marmalade and mocha Italian Buttercream. Again, this was a three layer cake. The difference with this cake was that after applying the crumb coat, we melted the buttercream and poured it over the cake to make a buttercream glaze. I loved the look of the glaze on the cake, however I wasn't very excited about the marzipan plaque we were required to put on the cake. I think the chocolate contrasts the cake way too much.
We also made roses from marzipan to decorate the cake. I really enjoyed modeling the roses in order to place them on the cake, but it really does take a lot of time!

The taste tests of this cake proved it to be very good and a combination that I would try again--sending everyone a virtual bite!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you please mail me a slice of both? I should never read your blog when I am hungry!! Your cakes are both beautiful. Your artistic talents are not going to waist as a pastry chef. These look even better than the ones I used to get from the Townsend. As I recall, they were your basic $30 - $40 cakes.

Mom

Kristi said...

Looks yummy! Looking at all of those delicious cakes makes me hungry too!
Too bad you are so far away or I'd have you design Cameron and Bailey's birthday cakes. Can't wait to see pics of your wedding cakes!

What do they do with all of the cakes you make? Do you all share them in class?