Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Chocolates and Confections

I have entered my final class at the California Culinary Academy, Chocolates and Confections. I can hardly believe that my 30 week Baking and Pastry program is only 5 weeks shy of completion--my last day is June 15th! However the next few weeks will be full of many new things!This past week was an introduction to tempering chocolate and chocolate making--caramels, truffles and dipping chocolates. It was an intensive week and will be a quick paced class full of information. In this class we work individually, which is refreshing because I find it allows for more freedom to experiment. Additionally we will have show piece projects which require a great deal of design and creative expression, and like our wedding cakes, it will be nice to try it for the first time as a solo endeavor.

The class is arranged in groups of projects. The first 3 weeks will focus on chocolate and second three weeks on sugar work. As I mentioned, this week we learned several methods for tempering chocolate, which means that it is properly mixed and heated--something that intimidated me prior to learning several new techniques. When chocolate is not tempered it looks moldy and old--appearing white on the surface. We have all seen this before, and it doesn't do much for the appetite!

The first photo is the beginning of a nougat ganache truffle and the second, honey nougat, prior to being dipped. Both candies are part of our first project which I will report on in next weeks blog, when they are all finished. In the mean time our chef has asked us to visit as many chocolatiers as possible and do a little research--I can handle that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks GGOOOOOODDDD!!, Unca Jay

Anonymous said...

Chocolatiers - not too tough an assignment! Your first efforts look great. Look forward to your upcoming creations.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Am so amazed at what you have produced in classes and shared with your blog readers. No wonder you received the A plus award, Alison,and I am the proudest Aunt and Godmother that ever lived! Congratulations on your new position at the bakery. Fleur