Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What three weeks in a classroom can do...

The past three weeks were spent in lecture learning the finer points of how bad the fat loaded confections we make are slowly deteriorating all of our lives. Seems like a fitting class to dish up to a bunch of baking and pastry students, no?

Apart from learning that our diets should contain less than 1% of the stuff I plan to spend the rest of my life making (demand doesn't look so good from this angle, trust me!), we developed a business plan, marketing strategy, menu etc. for a bakery. This was an excellent exercise in owning and operating a small business.

I chose to locate my bakery in Old Oakland, which is a small area in downtown Oakland that is seeing a lot of new development and has several new restaurants and shops. The name of my bakery was "a cakes." The 'a' being for Alison--I know it needs some work! Our menu had to be eight items and mine was as follows:

Brownie
Eclair
Chocolate Cupcake
Vanilla Cupcake
Fruit Tartlet
Chocolate Ganache Cake
Cherry-Apple Pie
New York Cheesecake

I won't go on about all of the boring details of the accounting figures, but with 1000 customers a day (that seems high to me) I was making a profit of about $60,000/year--as the owner that's my salary! So, not only did we learn a lot about small business, but also a lot about the livelihood of pastry chefs! Hey, thank goodness I'm not in it for the money or this would have been a rude awakening!

I will try to post the Power Point presentation summary of my bakery that I gave in class, stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Southport would not be a good place for you to establish your business since we don’t have 1000 people in the area. Pretty amazing what demographics you need to succeed with a bakery business. It is really great that they are teaching business so students will have a realistic idea of what they will need to succeed should they want to open their own shop.

I wonder how many sales Charlie had per day in his Birmingham bakery??

Mom