Sunday, November 26, 2006

A trip to the Ferry Building Farmers Market

I used to get so excited for May in Chicago, when the farmers markets would begin to pop up around the city, but towards the end of the season the pickin's were slim and all came to an end in the fall. So, I was stoked to find out that our local Oakland farmers market, walking distance away on Grand Avenue, was a year round event, happening every Saturday throughout the year! And not only was it open all year, but they have amazing produce all year too! I had the most amazing strawberries about a month ago--strawberries in October???

It seems as if I am turning into quite a farmer's market snob. Although I still love my farmers market, right down the street, this Saturday I ventured to San Francisco where I wanted to try the Ferry Building Farmers Market, something I have heard huge raves about and where many of the Bay Area chefs find inspiration for their menus. After a stroll through the vendors I understand the hype! What a wonderful gathering of fresh produce!

I thought that I would share some of my new discoveries:


Citron - Crazy looking stuff isn't it? I was told by the sales person that this is used for the zest only. At $8.00 per pound, that is some pretty expensive zest!



Purple Carrots - We now have every vegetable in purple, potatoes, cauliflower and now carrots! What color will come next?


Pummelo - These suckers were huge, about 6-8" in diameter (those are pomegranates behind for scale) and the largest of all citrus fruits. They are native to Asia and similar to a grapefruit.

Fuyu Persimmons - I have heard of persimmons, but never tasted one or seen one until moving to California. And, who knew that there was more than one variety? The Fuyu are meant to be eaten while they are hard, you slice them and eat them like an apple. Quite good, but I prefer the Hayicha.

Hayicha Persimmons - These persimmons have to be eaten when they are soft or they are very bitter, but they will ripen perfectly after picking. I had one several days ago and it was wonderful--sweet and soft.

Isn't California great? Wonderful and interesting produce all year long!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking good sweetie. Looks like you are becoming an expert blogger.

Love Terry

Anonymous said...

I love your blog!! Persimmons grow in the midwest, but are smaller than the ones in your pix. I used to pick them from trees that grew on the estate behind our house and make persimmon pudding. Mom

Anonymous said...

You sound so professional!! Glad you are enjoying classes. You are sure to fatten up Terry if you keep cooking menus like the one you posted. How wonderful it sounds!
Have you heard of Hetch Hetchy Reservoir out near Yosemite?

love ya, DAD