Sunday, November 05, 2006

First Day of Classes

For the first three weeks my schedule is as follows:

7 am Safety and Sanitation
9 am Food Science
11:30 am Skills

Safety and Sanitation is all about the gross stuff we find in food, what makes us sick and how to prevent it--I am learning way more than I ever wanted to know (ewe!).

I am really excited about food science, where we learn about all of the chemistry behind baking! This class is one of the main reasons I wanted to attend school. I am glad we are doing this class first before really getting our hands dirty so I can asses my successes and failures.

Skills is learning to use all of that kitchen equipment, especially knives and learning piping skills destined for all of those cakes that have yet to be baked.



Today they also distributed our tool kits. Can you believe that they gave us a rolling suitcase filled with fun gadgets? It was like Christmas opening that baby up (don't be jealous)! We also got a knife roll, which is good to take between here and there with the most important tools. Another fun day lugging bags home on BART!

No comments: